Texas Independence Trail Region Tour
Begin your tour in ANAHUAC.
Located six miles south of Interstate Highway 10, on State Highway 563, ANAHUAC is a small, quaint town surrounded in History dating back to Texas's fight for Independence.
ANAHUAC is situated on Galveston/Trinity Bay, about fifty miles east of Houston.
The town was established in 1831, by Mexican General Meir Teran. On a bluff overlooking the Bay, and near the mouth of the Trinity River, General Teran directed Juan Davis Bradburn, a Colonel in the Mexican Army, to build a new Fort, and to lay out the site for a new town. General Teran named the town, ANAHUAC, in honor of an ancient Aztec capital in Mexico.
Fort Anahuac would serve to protect the interest of the Mexican government by collecting customs duties from sailing ships bringing trade to the area, and taxes from the Colonists.
However, soon after Mexican troops arrived at ANAHUAC, they began to treat the Colonists with disrespect and cruelty. Commander Bradburn failed to curtail the actions of his soldiers, so the Colonists rebelled against these harsh treatments.
Bradburn jailed the Colonist's leaders, William B. Travis and Patrick C. Jack and several others in a converted brick kiln, which served as a jail at Fort Anahuac. (Travis would die a Hero at the fall of the Alamo in March, 1836).
The Colonists secured the release of their jailed leaders, and gathered six miles north of Anahuac, at Turtle Bayou. Here the Colonists drew up the Famed "Turtle Bayou Resolutions". These documents contained the concerns and demands of the Colonists, and their promise to give their "lives and fortunes" in pursuit of liberty and independence.
The documents were presented to the Mexican government, which were received with much displeasure. The President, General Santa Anna, proclaimed he would put a stop to this dangerous spirit of revolt in Texas. His proclamation only proved to set ablaze the smoldering fires of the Texas Battle for Independence.
The "Turtle Bayou Resolutions" would give Anahuac the distinction of being known as "The Cradle of Texas Independence".
The first shots fired in anger at Anahuac set the stage for the beginning of the Battle for Texas Independence.
The old fort and the original town site are located in the Anahuac Park. Remnants of the old fort are visible today.
While in ANAHUAC, visit the restored home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers "Chambersea". The home was built in 1847, and is currently the Chambers County Historical Commission office and visitor's center.
General Chambers was a very influential figure in the Battle for Texas Independence, serving with General Sam Houston. Chambers also served in the Civil War, serving in many political capacities. General Chambers was assassinated in 1865 in an upstairs bedroom of his beloved "Chambersea" home. His murder remains unsolved to this day.
Chambers County is named in his Honor.
Also, located by the Chambers Home is the restored 1896 office of Dr. Nicholas Schilling. The office was in continuous use by Dr. Schilling and later his daughter, also a doctor until 1966. The office was donated to the Chambers County Historical Commission, and contains the original instruments, equipment, furniture and medicines of old Dr. Schilling.
Located in Anahuac is the Waterborne Education Facilities, which sponsors power-boat trips on the Trinity River and the Bays.
One half mile east of Anahuac, on highway 65, is the Scow Schooner Project, where construction is underway of an exact replica of an 1830's sailing schooner. These schooners were used extensively in the bays up into the 1890s. The Schooner project is a project of the Galveston and Trinity Bay Marine Museum.
Several miles south of Anahuac is the Historic "Round Point". This home-site owes its beginnings back as early as 1810-1820.
About fifteen miles southeast of Anahuac, on highway FM 1985, is the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. Bordering East Bay, the refuge is among the top six Birding preserves in the U.S.
Journey back to IH-10 and head westward for three miles to The Wallisville Heritage Park. The Heritage Park Museum contains Artifacts and objects from bygone days and State Historic Plaques and Monuments telling of early homes and Spanish missions that existed in the area in the 1600's-1700's.
Close by are Driving and Hiking trails along the historic Trinity River that offers visitors the opportunity to see the wildlife, birds, flora and fauna of the area.
PLAN YOUR NEXT TOUR TO THIS EXCITING, HISTORIC AREA.
Article written by Bob Wheat