The St. Emily United Methodist Church of Old River celebrated its 125 th Anniversary on October 8, 2006 , with a special service conducted at 3:30 pm . The Church was founded in 1881 and was located on property donated by Emily Brown Thompson and her husband. The Church was first named the Methodist Episcopal Church of Old River and it was the only Black Church located in Old River . Through the 125 years of service to the community, the Church has had 35 different Pastors.

The current building was dedicated in October 1979 and the Church is now lead by Rev. Howard W. Bell. Rev. Bell has initiated a building program that will soon add a community Fellowship Hall to the grounds of the Church. The Church is located at 6818 F.M. 565 North at Old River-Winfrey.

Several members of the Chambers County Historical Commission attended the special service as guests of M.Q. Bradford, Commission Member and life long member of the Church. Those in attendance were Bob Wheat, Commission Chair, and wife Margie; Wayne and P.D. Hankamer; and Pudge and Kay Willcox. The Historical Commission will be assisting with the formal dedication of the Emily Brown Cemetery , which has been declared as a State Historical Cemetery,   also named in honor of the Church's founder. The date of the dedication is yet to be determined.


Article by CCHC Publicity Chair, Pudge Willcox

Related Links

Article (with photo) in The Progress

Chambers County Historical Commission



Back to Announcements    |   Home  |    Contact    |    Email
Copyright ©2004-2006, Anahuac Texas Independence. All Rights Reserved