Representing the church to receive the recognition sign was long time member Elga Jackson, joined by members Bertha White, Creola Moore and Alice Rivon. Members of the Historical Commission were Kay Willcox, R.B. Scherer, Jr., Kenneth Standley and Bob Wheat, Commission Chair.



April 6, 2007

The Chambers County Historical Commission’s Historical Preservation Committee recently recognized the St. Paul United Methodist Church and placed a recognition sign in the church yard.

St. Paul UMC was established in 1869 by a group of former slaves who had settled in the rural Double Bayou community.

The church is located on land that was deeded to the congregation in the 1870’s by charter member Martha Godfrey and it includes the near by cemetery.

The church has served the community for over a decade and many of the areas leaders are buried in the cemetery.

The church is also a designated Texas Historical Site and one of the many Chambers County Texas Historical Commission Markers is located there.

Photo and Article by CCHC Publicity Chairman Pudge Willcox

Related Link - Chambers County Historical Commission


Back to Announcements    |   Home  |    Contact    |    Email
Copyright ©2004-2007, Anahuac Texas Independence. All Rights Reserved.