Historical Marker



Marker Erected 1977
Marker Located: FM 563, about 4 miles South of Anahuac, East side of 563 ROW


Marker Text:

The farming community of Graydon flourished along the west fork of Double Bayou at the turn of the century. Benjamin F. Sterling (1831-1917), one of the earliest settlers in the area, brought his family here in 1869. He is credited with starting a school as early as 1877. A one-room schoolhouse was erected in 1893 on land provided by Jacob Carl Johnson. In 1895 Sterling opened a post office in his general store and named it "Graydon" for his grandson. His son Ross Sterling (1874-1949)a native of Graydon, served as governor of Texas, 1931-33. In the late 1890s, real estate developers divided much of this fertile area into small farms to sell to families in the north and east. Rice, vegetables, and other crops were sent by boat down Double Bayou, the community's principal transportation artery, and across the bay to Galveston. Marion Stines (1850-1916) became postmaster in 1912 and moved the post office to his store. The second Graydon schoolhouse, built in 1915 on land given by George Banks was the site of worship services and social events. Graydon's population declined because of reverses in the farm economy, destructive hurricanes, and the rise of motor travel which isolated the community. the post office closed in 1919 and the school in 1935.

Marker Number: 12651
Subject Codes: SM
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 337977
UTM Northing: 3285434